Hello Bloggies! Today my Mom made this really nutritious and tangy Texas Caviar...and believe me...It was finger-licking good! And don't be baffled by its name...It contains no caviar and is a vegetarian recipe.
Texas caviar is a traditional dish from the southern part of America. It is made from black-eyed peas, vegetables marinated in Italian dressing. It is supposed to be served cold, so that in the meanwhile all the flavors get nicely blended.
So, I wish t share the recipe of Texas Caviar. It is extremely simple to make Texas Caviar. I'm sure you and your family members are going to love it. So, lets get started.
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Ready in: 60 minutes
Black-eyed peas- 300 grams, boiled and cooled.
Onion- 1 small, finely chopped.
Spring onions (Green part)- 3 to 4, finely chopped.
Cherry tomatoes- 3, chopped.
Green bell pepper- 50 grams, chopped.
Yellow bell pepper- 50 grams, chopped.
Red bell pepper- 50 grams, chopped.
Jalapeno peppers- 2, chopped.
Sweet corn kernels- 5 tbsp, boiled.
Honey- 2-3 tbsp, can be adjusted as per your taste.
Home-made zesty Italian dressing- 12-15 tbsp.
Cilantro/ Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp.
1. Soak black-eyed peas overnight. Boil it with sufficient water and a pinch of salt till they are soft. Four whistles in a pressure cooker would suffice. Then let it cool.
2. Take black-eyed peas and add in all the dry ingredients , one by one, and mix well.
3. Now add in the honey and the Italian dressing and mix again.
4. Serve at room temperature, or you can also serve it cold by refrigerating for an hour; as you may prefer.
5. You can serve it as a salad, or with tortilla chips.
1. You can also use pickled jalapenos if fresh ones are unavailable. Make sure you wear gloves when you chop them. Do not touch your eyes after chopping jalapenos, for a while.
2. You may use ready-made Italian dressing, but home-made one would be a better option.
P.S.- The recipe of home-made Italian dressing would be shared tomorrow.