Dear Bloggies, as promised yesterday, I'm sharing the recipe of Italian Dressing that I had used in Texas Caviar recipe. This dressing is really easy to make, and the ingredients it requires are easily available in the super-markets.
Italian dressing basically is made by combining the dry mix of pungent spices with olive oil and vinegar.
The benefit of using the home-made dressing is that, it would be free of additional preservatives and artificial flavors, that a ready-made dressing would have contained. You may also add or subtract the ingredients as per your choice. Scope for innovation is always there...Also, home-made dressings are cheaper.
So lets start with the Italian Dressing recipe!
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Ready in: 1 hour
For dry mix:
Onion powder- 1/2 tbsp.
Garlic powder- 1/2 tbsp.
Dried oregano- 1 tbsp.
Dried basil- 1/2 tbsp.
Dried thyme- 1/2 tsp..
Dried parsley- 1/2 tbsp.
Sugar- 1/2 tbsp.
Black pepper- Freshly ground, 1/2 tsp.
Celery salt- 1/4 tsp.
Salt- 1 tsp or as per taste.
Extra-virgin olive oil- 6 tbsp.
Water- 1 tbsp.
White wine vinegar, or white vinegar- 5 to 6 tbsp.
1. In a small bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. Store this dry mix in an air-tight container. So this way yo have the dry mix ready for future use and have to follow step 2 for instant dressing.
2. To prepare the dressing, take 2 tbsp of the dry mix powder, and add in the olive oil, water, and vinegar, and whisk well. Let it stand for an hour in the fridge, so that all the flavors combine well.
3. Use it for making Texas Caviar recipe!
1. You can also use fresh minced garlic instead of garlic powder. But it would give out a really pungent and raw smell. So I used dried garlic powder available in the market.
2. You can use fresh parsley, oregano, and thyme if you do not wish to store the dry mix for future use.